Creativity is important in life. Being able to “think outside the box” or look at a problem from a new angle keeps teams, companies, and people going. I hate when my mind gets stuck. Whether it’s writing a post, looking for a new direction at work, or thinking about a new hobby, sometimes I need a way to ignite something (anything!) Below are some of the methods I use to spark creativity and inspiration.
- New spaces. Whenever I can’t think straight, I always go somewhere new. In DC, it’s great. There are coffee shops, museums, parks, and all sorts of places you can go for free. New atmosphere that show different presentations of information or just provide a different vibe are great for sparking creativity and inspiration.
- Coffee shops where you can people watching. I think every coffee shop has a different clientele and a different personality. My favorites are the ones where you can also people watch while sitting.
- Books. Whatever you are trying to get creative about, find the best books about that subject and read, read, read.
- Websites. There are some great websites that provide inspirational content, brainstorming ideas and more. My favorites are Seth Godin’s blog, the 99 percent, and Idea Sandbox
- Toy stores. In order to spark creativity, there is nothing better than letting your mind wander and what better way to do that then with the tools you used as a kid. Find the crayons, glitter glue, markers, playdoh or anything else you can find. When you relax and let your mind take a step back, sometimes that when the best ideas happen.
- Go tech free. Technology, as wonderful as it is, can be distracting and difficult. If I’m stuck and my computer is anywhere near me, you better believe that instead of getting unstuck, I’m probably on twitter, facebook, tumblr, or pinterest. Sometimes the best thing to do is put the tech away and pull out a good old pen and paper to see where things go.
So go forth and create, inspire, and get unstuck!